On Sunday, January 26th, the Retail Bakers of America (RBA) will host the third in the new RBA Roadshow series. Designed to bring bakers, cake decorators, vendors, students and educators together, this one-day event will be held at Midwest Culinary Institute in Cincinnati, OH. RBA is hosting this event in conjunction with the Greater Cincinnati Retail Bakers Association (GCRBA), adding RBA's established education program to GCRBA's already popular annual meeting.
- 7:30am - 11:30am: Bakery Tours
- 8:00am - 11:00am: Morning Hands-On Classes
- 11:30am - 1:00pm: Buffet Lunch
- 11:30am - 4:00pm: Vendor Showcase
- 1:00pm - 5:00pm: Educational Sessions
The day will begin with the ever-popular bakery tours. Tour participants will have two different tours to choose from; Cincinnati or Dayton. The Cincinnati Tour includes Holtman Donut Shop, The Bonbonerie, Servatii Pastry Shop and Busken Bakery. Those on the Dayton Tour will visit Cake Company and Dorothy Lane Market.
The program then segues into the vendor showcase which is a table-top trade show with top vendors from the baking industry. A buffet lunch will be served during the vendor showcase.
Attendees will have a great selection of educational offerings to choose. The educational offerings will include:
Morning Hands-On Classes
- 8:00am Sculpting
with Internal Supports: Robert Ayres
- Learn how to build and sculpt a three dimensional figure using the correct support system. Each person will construct and finish a sculpted cake to take home. Cake, icing and all supplies provided.
- 8:00am Fashion Forward Buttercream: Becky
- Learn how to create the new trendy techniques seen in the magazines that will add value and wow to your cakes. Included in this class: ruffles, rosettes, rustic, spooned, and more. Students will also learn how to do a variety of script/writing that will add pizazz to their cakes.
- 8:00am Laminated Dough Basics: Jory
- Does the crazy fad of donut shaped croissants have you puzzled? This and general lamination techniques will be exposed during this 3 hour class. All stages of the production process will be covered: mixing, fermentation, laminating, frying, baking and filling. Some time will be spent producing plain croissants, and troubleshooting both products.
- 1:00pm Cupcakes:
- Quick and easy ways to step up your game with cupcakes. Don=E2=80=99t just have white cupcakes with white icing and a bit of sprinkles or a dab of airbrush color. Yes, that=E2=80=99s fast, but that=E2=80=99s the way you=E2=80=99ve always done it. Let=E2=80=99s have fun and create some eye popping colors and textures. Let=E2=80=99s group them together, dress=E2=80=99em up and take them out on the town. Come share your ideas and take home some of ours.
- 2:30pm Don't Judge Me! Cake Competition Dos
Don'ts: Panel Discussion
- What are judges looking for in cake competitions and cake decorating certification tests? How can you best prepare to wow the judges? Listen to a panel of judges and competitors talk about what decorators should plan and practice for when taking a certification test or competing in on site decorating competitions.
- 4:00pm Everyday Poured Sugar: Becky
- In this demonstration, you will learn how to use isomalt to add excitement and details to your cakes. Learn how to create various forms of sugar coral, medallions, plaques, gems, simple toppers and more. We will work with molds as well as items found in most bakeries. This is a great way to increase product value for very little effort
- 1:00pm From
App to Interview: Tools for Finding & Hiring a Solid
- Tired of turnover? Tired of retraining? Who wouldn=E2=80=99t be! This session is jam packed with helpful tips to make improvements to your application and hiring process - increasing your odds of getting the right people on your team and keeping them.
- 2:30pm Open Book Management: Beth
- Open Book Finance is a radical concept. Why would any business owner in their right mind share the financials with the staff? There are many reasons. Open Book Finance leads to better decision making, builds commitment, teaches ownership thinking and actually delivers better bottom-line results than the traditional model. Beth will give you an overview of Open Book Finance basics: how to establish the rules, keep the score, conduct a huddle, and ultimately, how to celebrate success with your team.
- 4:00pm How to Get More Customers: Jon
- People don=E2=80=99t want ads or marketing. People want information to make their decisions and lives better, and local businesses that provide it will get more customers. The key in providing the information is to know when, where and what is needed. We=E2=80=99ll show you how the Internet has changed everything and how you can get more customers from it, utilizing all of the various types and flavors of Websites, Social Media, Search Engines, Email Marketing, Local and Online Media.
- 1:00pm Baking
for the Gluten Free Market: Dawn Baking Technicians
- As we see an increase in customers asking for gluten free products, more bakeries are asking if they should be expanding into this market. Dawn technicians will look at the statistics related to the size of the gluten free market, issues with producing gluten free products and some options for bakeries who want to pursue it.
- 2:30pm Trans Fat Free Baking - How we get
- The FDA ruling on Trans Fats took many people in the baking industry by surprise even though some states and cities hace already put it in place. If it becomes a reality what are the options for your bakery? What shortenings are available and how will you need to adjust your baking process? Roger Daniels from Stratus Foods will give us an update on the options that bakers have now and the shortenings that are in the works as the industry prepares for this change.
- 4:00pm French Macarons: Jory Downer
- Does the French macaron, the most humbling item of all, got ya stumped? During this demo, macarons will be mixed, piped, baked and filled. A good chance to pick up some pointers and learn how to keep your macarons consistent.
- The program will end in time for attendees to travel home or to spend time in the Cincinnati area.